Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Day 3: First Day at the University


Today was our first day at the university. We were out of the hotel by 8:30 and on a bus very quickly after that. There are so many buses in use in this city, which is something that surprised me. Buses come one after the other, sometimes within the same minute. This morning was very foggy, so we weren't able to see the ocean from the hill where the university is perched.


The fog, however, did not make the university any less beautiful. I was so amazed that a campus could look like this. I don't think I would get much work done if I went to a school that looked like this!
Two of the Chilean students took us on a tour of campus. The campus has a few main buildings. It even had a pool in the "quad" between some of the buildings. Students are free to use the pool whenever they want. 
The campus also had some very interesting architecture. There were also beautiful flowers and trees everywhere.

After our campus tour, we went to a lecture about the Chilean economy. The lecture was very interesting, especially because our professor compared Chile's economic experiences to the rest of the world's. Then, some of us presented our company presentations. Next, we had dinner at the dining hall. The dining hall is a lot different than the ones at Pitt. There is only one choice of meal, and all students eat during a specific time.
After this, we went on a tour of Valapariso. We walked around many of the hills and through the painted alleyways. There never seems to be a bad view. 
We stopped for empanadas on the way back to the university for salsa lessons. I have never had empanadas before today, but now I know I need to make them a bigger part of my diet! 
After dinner, we went back to the university for salsa lessons. The lesson was really fun, and I was impressed with myself at how quickly I picked up the steps.
Today was full of activities, but I like being so busy and making the most of my time in Chile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment