Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 2: First Day in Chile



After landing, we all went through passport control, got our bags, and went through customs. Then, we met with two of the students that are going to be guiding us on our trip and got on our bus from the Santiago airport to Viña del Mar. The bus was very nice and comfortable, and most of us were able to get a window seat. Since I was so tired, I dozed off here and there throughout the hour and a half bus ride. I was able to wake up to see some nice views though.
The city is very beautiful, and it is perched on a hill overlooking the ocean. We then checked into the hotel. After we took a quick shower, we all headed out to explore the city a little bit. We walked a short distance to the beach. The water was beautiful, and it was nice to see families out enjoying themselves since it was a Sunday.
By this point, we were all hungry since all we'd eaten that day was the airplanes breakfast. We stopped on the beach for some food. Some people got empanadas, but I was craving something sweet so I got a chocalate covered churro. 
It was very good! We then walked along the beach and past some vendors selling jewelry, paintings, and knit wear. Then we headed toward the mall. The mall was very big and had some stores I recognized but mostly ones I had never seen before. The mall was actually two different malls connected by an overpass: 
After this, we stopped and got some water. We had a little break, and then we all went out together for dinner. We went to a Mexican restaurant because many other locations were closed with it being Sunday. On our walk there, we got a little peek of the ocean sunset. 
We had dinner together, and we were all very hungry and ready to eat. After eating, I was so tired that I came back and went right to sleep. Today was a good day to ease into Chile since we all had a little freedom about what we wanted to do. I look forward to tomorrow when we will visit the university. 

No comments:

Post a Comment